Silver for Scotland at the Eurogames

aec23
Monday 15 August 2022

University of St Andrews graduate Sam Winton has recently represented Scotland at rowing in this year’s Eurogames .

EuroGames, which this year were held in Nijmegen, Netherlands, is a fully inclusive sporting event, especially for LGBTQI+ people. The games hosts 17 different sports, with more than 2000 participants taking part at all levels.

Sam was invited to participate in the games under Team Scotland. Initially apprehensive, Sam competed in over 15 different rowing races. His highlights were the following:

• Mixed 2x with France
  • Mens 2x with Switerzland
  • Mens 4- with Netherlands
  • Mens 4x- with Switzerland
  • Mixed 8- with Portugal and Netherlands

After a long few days of competition, Sam came away with 3 silver medals after placing second in the Men’s 4 with Netherlands, Men’s 4 with Switzerland and Mixed 8 with Portugal and the Netherlands.

Sam said: “It was one of the most amazing experiences, something I will cherish forever. It taught me a great deal about how sport can change to become more inclusive, with the event attracting a diverse crowd from all over the globe and embracing intersectionality.

“Never before had I been as relaxed at a rowing competition, and arguable this was the biggest one of my rowing careers to date as it was my first ever international competition. It showed me how important a safe, inclusive, and validating space is, and the energy I expended masking at other competitions or in other environments.

“In the end I managed to secure three silver medals, my first ever medal winning performance. This has only motivated me to continue training so I can go back and win gold next time.”

Posted in