Sports clubs form an integral part of University life at St Andrews and form a cornerstone of the Saints Sport experience. The vast majority are student-led and student-run, with many of our club coaches and match officials coming from within the student body.
Saints Coaching is delivered in partnership with the Coaching and Volunteering team form sportscotland (the national agency for sport) and provides a great opportunity for students to develop their sports coaching skills.
The programme is aimed at student coaches from University sports clubs to support their development as coaches, and ultimately benefit the club members that they coach.
The Saints Coaching programme aims to:
- develop generic coaching competencies to supplement sports specific coaching qualifications gained through a governing body
- provide student coaches with the skills and confidence to plan, deliver, and review quality sessions in a positive learning environment
- provide a network of support of like minded coaches to learn from, and share good practice with
- provide AU clubs with more confident and competent coaches, thus providing the best possible coaching experience for their members
- develop highly transferable skills that will enhance career prospect
Topics covered within the programme include:
- Plan, do, and review of coaching sessions
- Effective warm up and cool downs
- Creating a positive learning environment
- Circuit training for fitness
Session dates and booking information will be confirmed ahead of Semester 1 of the 2021/22 academic year.